DKINGJAY POST

LONG READ: The Sanusi speech that scolded Buhari’s government

0 in Share First of all, I want to break from tradition. Usually I speak in Hausa in Kano. But, I don’t know how I am go...

Monday 26 December 2016

Mourinho confirms Rooney has slight injury


Jose Mourinho has revealed Wayne Rooney was omitted from Manchester United’s squad for the Boxing Day match against Sunderland due to a thigh injury he felt in training.
The captain is rated a major doubt for the visit of Middlesbrough to Old Trafford on New Year's Eve after reporting the problem during Christmas Day's session at the Aon Training Complex.
When asked after the win over the Black Cats if Rooney will return against Boro, the boss replied: "Honestly, I don't think so. I hope so. I would like to have him, he's always a player I would like to have but I have my doubts. Let's see the evolution [of the injury].
"It's a strange muscle, a big muscle surrounded by others and you can have an injury there but still be able to move well. He was not feeling very confident. It's not a big deal but, in four days, I have my doubts."
Before the Boxing Day victory, in a pre-match interview with Sky Sports, the manager was asked if Rooney was left out because of the busy fixture list. "No, not really because the next match is on the 31st," Jose explained.
"That's not the problem. The problem for us is playing on the 31st and then the 2nd. That's the problem for us as Manchester United. Sunderland have the privilege to play after that but for us that's the problem.
"He [Rooney] just felt a little thing in training yesterday [Christmas Day] and we all agreed that the best thing for him, and for us, was that he didn't play today."

No comments:

Post a Comment