DKINGJAY POST

LONG READ: The Sanusi speech that scolded Buhari’s government

0 in Share First of all, I want to break from tradition. Usually I speak in Hausa in Kano. But, I don’t know how I am go...

Monday 19 December 2016

Herrera: Why I love English football




Talking football with Ander Herrera is always a pleasure. If playing the beautiful game is the Manchester United midfielder's first love, then chatting about it must be his second.

Inside United recently met amiable Ander at the Aon Training Complex and asked him about the experience of playing football in England after learning his trade at home in Spain.
How much did you watch English football before you came here and what did you see that was different from Spanish football?
I watched a lot of English football before I came because it’s the most exciting league to watch. The organisation is unbelievable, the way the FA thinks about the fans and how they want all the stadiums full, it’s amazing. The pitches are always good as well. Everyone always asks me that about the differences and to be honest I don’t think there is a big difference, football is football everywhere and the good players are good players everywhere. Maybe the rhythm of the game here is a little bit higher sometimes. In Spain and other countries they think more about tactics or defending the goal, but here in England everyone wants to attack and that’s good for the fans as well.
Your father has said that Athletic Club is the most ‘English’ of Spanish clubs – why is that, what characteristics do they share with clubs in England?
First of all the stadium and also the fans – for example they celebrate and cheer for every corner like the people do in England [smiles]. This is the first thing you can see if you go to San Mamés Stadium, Athletic’s stadium. Historically Athletic’s style has been quite direct and can be similar to English football too.
What did you think of your first proper taste of English football, in Athletic Club’s Europa League game with United at Old Trafford in March 2012? 
The memories are fantastic because we won against a fantastic team. I had the chance to play against Ryan Giggs, which was important to me because I had his picture at my home [smiles]. I remember we brought a lot of people over from Bilbao, it was an amazing day for Athletic to win in front of maybe 12,000 or 13,000 fans here. We played very well and at the end of the game I will never forget the way the United fans applauded us, it was amazing.
You’re now in your third season in the Premier League. Has the league and playing in this country been how you expected it to be, or has anything surprised you? 
No, it’s what I expected. I am enjoying it a lot just as I expected I would. The stadiums are always fantastic and our fans are, no doubt, the loudest overall, especially away from home where they are unbelievable. FA Cup games and League Cup games are special because you are going to small stadiums but the Man United fans show themselves wherever we go. I’m enjoying my time at United and in England just as I thought I would.

Is it your aim to spend a long time with United?

Yes, but you never know because if I want to keep playing for United you have to play very well because United is the biggest club in England. The club has the capacity to bring any players here so you have to always be at your highest level if you want to keep playing for this club. It's not easy but I hope I can and I will fight for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment