DKINGJAY POST

LONG READ: The Sanusi speech that scolded Buhari’s government

0 in Share First of all, I want to break from tradition. Usually I speak in Hausa in Kano. But, I don’t know how I am go...

Saturday 4 February 2017

Smalling ready for Leicester test




In a successful departure from his ‘day job’, Manchester United defender Chris Smalling scored when he last faced Leicester City – in September's 4-1 home win - and netted again last weekend in the Reds’ Emirates FA Cup win over Wigan Athletic.
The centre-back, who has started five of United's last seven games and captained the side against Stoke, also popped up positively in the opponents’ penalty area during Wednesday’s 0-0 draw with Hull City. His header set up what looked like the breakthrough moment until Eldin Jakupovic blocked Juan Mata’s shot.
Yet Smalling, who came on for the injured Phil Jones in midweek, will naturally prioritise his defensive duties if he’s selected for the Leicester City match on Sunday and concentrate on keeping his England team-mate Jamie Vardy quiet at the King Power Stadium.
Here's what Chris had to say about Vardy, United's permutations in central defence and the busy schedule ahead when speaking to MUTV on Friday morning...

Do you like the fact there is going to be game after game in different competitions?Yes, I prefer to play games rather than just play one game in a week and train for five or six days. I’d rather play, recover, have a light training session and play. That’s what I’d always prefer and I probably think most players would prefer that because we like to play games. Training every day is good and you can improve but the games are what it’s all about.

At centre-back we’ve got Marcos Rojo, Phil Jones, Daley Blind and Eric Bailly as potential partners for you. Is it a case of trying to build an understanding with each one of those so that you’re ready to play together?
Yes definitely. I think in training we’re often playing with different partners and in any given game you never know what sort of forwards you’re going to be up against. I think a lot of that understanding is based around our training and what we do on a daily basis but I feel very comfortable with all of them and likewise they all feel comfortable because we play with each other every day.
Our next game is against Leicester City of course. Are you surprised to see the champions where they are in the table at the moment?Yes, I think I am and I think a lot of people are. Whether they were going to be challenging for the title again or not, I’d expect them to be higher than they are. But I don’t think we can forget their qualities which made them the champions, the current champions, so I think we need to be more wary of their potential threats and what they did last year rather than the situation they find themselves in now.

Jamie Vardy wrote in his autobiography that you were his most difficult opponent. Is it nice to hear a fellow professional say that about you?
Yes it is, and especially when Jamie’s one of those players that the majority of defenders would find very hard to play against. I’d say that as well because of his unpredictability, his pace and his work rate so to hear that – and I did read that - it gives you a little smile when they see that you’re a bit of a pest to them.

He, like Leicester, is not having as good a season this time around. But is he still the sort of opponent who doesn’t give you a minute’s peace as a defender?Yes he is. Whether or not he’s on a roll of scoring however many goals last season, I think he’s someone who will always give his all for the team and no matter their situation or how many goals he’s scored, he won’t let it rest. You know that when you’ve got the ball, you’ll have a few seconds less than you would in the majority of games.

MUTV will show the full exclusive interview with Chris Smalling in Matchday Live at 15:00 GMT on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment