DKINGJAY POST

LONG READ: The Sanusi speech that scolded Buhari’s government

0 in Share First of all, I want to break from tradition. Usually I speak in Hausa in Kano. But, I don’t know how I am go...

Tuesday 16 January 2018

Aare Ona Kakanfo: 20 Quotable Quotes From Gani Adams’ Speech

Aare Ona Kakanfo: OGF Greets Alaafin, Adams
Yesterday, coordinator of the Oodua Peoples Congress, OPC, Chief Gani Adams was installed as the 15th Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yoruba land. For your reading pleasure, insideoyo.com extracted these 20 quotes from Adams’ speech‎, for your reading pleasure. Excerpts:
1) My installation as the 15th Aare Ona Kakanfo is a challenge that has made all past challenges seem like a child’s play.
2) Though I am just stepping into the office, past occupants of the seat, especially the 13th and 14th occupants – Aare Samuel Ladoke Akintola and Aare Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola – brought so much power and glamour to the office that it is obvious I have a lot of work to do. As astute businessmen and politicians of note, they raised the profile of the office.
3) There is no doubt from the reactions that followed my pronouncement by the Alaafin of Oyo as the 15th Aare Ona Kakanfo that the power and prestige of the office has not waned since it was created centuries ago by Alaafin Ajagbo
‎4) In fact, despite the fact that I am an holder of 52 traditional titles, none has drawn as much comments and commendation by way of letters and visits.
5) While it is estimated that there are 60 million Yoruba within Nigeria and about 200 million others scattered all over the world, as a starting point, the preservation of the culture of the race will occupy my attention.
6) Pitiably, as a race, we are gradually losing our culture. In fact, from my travels around the world, it has become obvious that people of other races are taking more interest in our culture than we the owners of the culture, with Americans, Europeans and Asians now earning Degrees in the study of our culture, beliefs and what they have come to term metaphysics. We need to preserve our culture to fully realise the potential of the Yoruba.
7) Though with an activist background, it is now clear that I have to do more as a bridge builder with this new responsibility.
‎8) The office will equally ensure unity of all Yoruba sons and daughters all over the world. Also of strategic importance to me is research and documentary to sustain the ideals of our founding fathers.
9) To ensure the continuation of the leadership role the Yoruba is known for educationally, I will give scholarships to our sons and daughters because education is light and power.
10) Also, I will collaborate with security agencies and stakeholders to ensure that Yorubaland is effectively secured through our various organisations.
11) The journey has started from here. And my first appeal goes to Yoruba sons and daughters who are outside the shores of the country not to forget that there is no place like home.
12) As the 15th Aare Ona Kakanafo, I consider myself lucky that there is no war at hand confronting the Yoruba race now. In other words, we are living in peace time. However, I am not pleased with the level of Yoruba unity today and I am very concerned.
13) To take the journey further, I will, after this installation, launch the Aare Ona Kakanfo Foundation. This will further promote the culture of the people and document the history of the Aare Ona Kakanfo title.
14) Since we are now in the era of Information Technology, we will be unveiling historical documents obtained from the Iku Baba Yeye on the Aare Ona Kakanfo title to a website.
15) My second appeal as the Aare Ona Kakanfo goes to the Federal Government to attend to some of the major roads in Yorubaland that are critical to its citizens. These include Lagos-Ibadan, Oyo-Ilorin, Lagos-Badagry, Sagamu-Benin, Badagry-Lusada-Sokoto, Ibadan-Iwo-Osogbo, Osogbo-Ilesa, Ilesa-Akure-Owo-Lokoja and Lagos-Abeokuta.
16) It will also be a major plus if the government, as promised by President Muhammadu Buhari in his January 1, 2018 speech, attends to rail transportation as fast as possible.
17) The issue of power is also critical. This will empower artisans more.
18) To our esteemed Governors in the South-West, I call for cooperation, no matter the party line. The Development Agenda for Western Nigeria (DAWN) Commission should be empowered. And I want you all to see me as a partner in progress.
19) I offer myself for service once it is for the advancement of the Yoruba race. The various groups in the South-West should also resolve their crises.
20) I will also persuade seven of our elders, who are not partisan, to work with me in uniting all Yoruba and resolve differences wherever they may arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment